Thursday, November 12, 2015

Reflection and Response

Teaching Is a Process: Student/Teacher Relationships: A Process Requires ...: by Clint Heitz





I love this post from my colleague and good friend! As a relatively new teacher, who came to the career late, I can tell you how disheartening it can be to deal with curmudgeons. As an Academic Interventionist, I can tell thoroughly empathize with teachers whose students aren't working; I know how frustrating dealing with a lack of will can be. However, since I recognize this I do my utmost to use that frustration to fuel my drive and passion for my profession; to try and push myself to new heights with my students, and to work harder to create and maintain a good relationship with my students.



Everyone has days when they hit the door running, I feel like the difference between a curmudgeon and everyone else is that the curmudgeon has too long of a memory--they allow the negativity of yesterday to drag down the possibility of today. Even worse, they often drag down other teachers' possibilities as well.



In the heat of the moment, it can be very difficult for educators to pull away from the negative feelings we sometimes feel. That is why reflection is an absolute must for educators, if we are to maintain sanity and passion for the profession. Viewing the events of the day through the lens of reflection allows us to put into perspective these experiences, and refocus our energies and attention so we can (hopefully) prevent these negative interactions from recurring.



Collaboration with our colleagues is a great way to deal with these feelings. Instead of simply complaining for the sake of complaining, sharing our troubles and difficulties with our teammates with the goal of finding resolution is a great way to find support and hope, even if the answers continue to be elusive.



Thank you, Clint, for inspiring me.

No comments:

Post a Comment