Friday, September 5, 2014

30 Day Blog Challenge: Day 1

Day 1: Write your goals for the school year. Be as specific or abstract as you'd like to be!

This is the first day of the 30 day blogging challenge; and since I'm trying to start blogging on a regular basis, I thought I'd give this a shot. My goals for this year include beginning a program for Academic Intervention which will outlast me in the position. I want to get our PDO list reduced to zero. I don't want any students to fall by the wayside. I know this may be an unrealistic, idealistic goal; but what is life without idealism? My internal realist voice is laughing cynically at my seemingly youthful exuberance; but this is still my aim. There are too many students who don't get the help they need; or feel untrusting of those who wish to help them. I want to break that thought process. I want students to come to school full of hope and excitement, not dread and impending doom. 

One of my students asked me today how I got into this profession, and the answer is easy: I love education, I love helping students find success, I love the feeling of purpose and joy and hope that being a teacher inspires in me and (hopefully) my students. Everyone is not created equally, but everyone deserves an equal chance to find success and happiness in school. Helping them find it will be one of the big goals of my first year at Bettendorf High School.

No comments:

Post a Comment