Tuesday, September 16, 2014

30 Day Blogging Challenge: Day 10: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Day 10: Share five random facts about yourself. Share four things from your bucket list. Share three things that you hope for this year, as a "person" or an educator. Share two things that have made you laugh or cry as an educator. Share one thing you wish more people knew about you.

Quite the load of things to type up today!

Five random facts about myself: 
I love the University of Michigan--especially the football program; my favorite meal is chicken fried steak and eggs; my favorite colors are purple and blue; I absolutely love playing board games of all types; and my family is my inspiration.

Four things from my bucket list: 
Go to Europe--as a trained historian this is by far at the top of my list; go to a Michigan-Ohio State game at The Big House; see my daughters succeed; and make a difference.

Three things I hope for: 
Success in my position as Academic Interventionist--still trying to define what success would be, though; keep growing and reflecting as a person and educator; and go on more dates with my wife.

Two things which have made me laugh or cry: 
The first story is a time I (almost) cried. As I was wrapping up my student teaching semester, I realized that all of the connections I had forged with my students were going to fade for them as time went on, and they saw me no longer. At this, I choked up, but held my composure.

This second one made me laugh until I cried; I was long-term subbing and it was test day for my students. One poor student had a horrible case of the hiccups, and it was distracting the whole class. She tried everything to get rid of them before the test began, but nothing worked. Being the kind, helpful teacher I am I decided to scare them out of her....by smacking her desk with my open hand. In hindsight, this probably wasn't the best choice...She fell over backwards in her chair knocking her desk over, as well as the desk of the person behind her. She also bumped her elbow on the desk next to her. Needless to say, I felt absolutely horrible about this, so I rushed to help her up. She refused my help because she was laughing too hard to move. At the realization that my student was ok (and so was my job!) I, too, began to laugh. Soon the entire class was roaring with laughter. Eventually, I got them back on task, and they completed their test, but I learned my lesson: never, ever try to help a student!

One thing I wish more people knew about me:
That I care. The depth of my caring continues to grow, and I want more people to know it--namely my students. My family and friends know how much I care, how deeply my passion and joy run. I wish all of my students could look at themselves through my eyes, and see the potential, the possibilities, and the success I see in and for them. If they saw these things, then they would forgive the small mistakes I might make, and accept that I want to help them find their best, reach their goals, fulfill their potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment