Monday, September 15, 2014

30 Day Blogging Challenge: Day 9: Accomplishments

Day 9: Write about one of your biggest accomplishments in your teaching that no one knows about (or may not care).

So, I'm not doing the blogging thing every day, but I'm still doing it!

This one is a tough question, because I'm a total braggart, so I like to play up all of my accomplishments to anyone and everyone who will listen--and even to some who won't listen.

One of my biggest accomplishments was connecting with a student. She was a junior high student who was very obviously troubled--her body language and attitude in class projected depression or, at the least, deep sadness and disconnect. Making things worse, I was a long-term substitute. Even tougher...another student at the school committed suicide in the week I first began to teach this particular student.

Oftentimes she would come in to class visibly upset or disturbed. On these days I would ask her how she was doing, and if there was anything I could do to help. She would politely refuse, and I would reiterate that I was there for her to talk to, should she ever need it.

Throughout the ensuing weeks, this scenario would repeat itself. But I was also continuing to build up our teacher-student relationship, as well. The class was a technology class, and we were building websites in a project-based, inquiry-based assignment. The students chose whatever interested them, and then researched and built informational websites about them. I worked closely with this student, as she frequently sought help in building her website about music. She was an intelligent student, who asked pointed questions and pursued constructive criticism in order to improve her product.

Finally, one day she came in, burdened. As she often did, she requested that she go to the school counselor. I acquiesced, but she was back a bare five minutes later; even more upset than when she'd left. Her counselor had been busy with another student, she told me. I again asked if there was anything I could do to help, even if it was only to listen; again she declined. A few minutes later, as I was sitting at my desk, she approached me and asked if we could speak. I agreed, and she took a seat and began speaking about the things which had been plaguing her for the time I had her in class and well before.

I spoke listened closely and then spoke candidly about her intelligence, personality, and strength. She seemed to take some comfort in my words, and left my presence in a better state. After this connection, she would frequently share her concerns and feelings with me, and I worked closely with her counselor to relay all of her concerns, feelings, and ideas.

This was one of the most impacting moments of my teaching career. In helping this student deal with some of her emotions and problems, I found absolute confirmation that I had chosen the right path to walk. These types of moments underscore the importance of teachers in their students' lives, and the kind of difference we can make on the future.

1 comment:

  1. As always, Brad, I am a huge believer in your skills as an educator and a compassionate indivudual. And, I'm honored that you got to have so many of these experiences while we were working so closely together; you've given me a lot to brag about, too!

    As you highlighted, relationships with students is so important, and I applaud your ability to continue to show interest and compassion without becoming overbearing about it. I guarantee that student will remember you for quite some time. Keep that passion and drive!

    ReplyDelete