Wednesday, September 17, 2014

30 Day Challenge: Day 11: Favorite part of the day.

Day 11: What is your favorite part of the school day and why?

My favorite part of the school day is before and after school, and lunch--but not for the reasons you might think!

I love these times of the day because that's when I get to work with my students. Especially before and after school are great, because I get to work with my students in a more one-on-one fashion. In this way I get to show them that I care, and that I want to help them succeed and graduate.

I suppose that I could more generally say that I love it when I get to work with my students. Working one-on-one with students is truly a gift. I cannot overemphasize how much I enjoy having students in my room....we play music (usually their choice--within reason!) keep a relaxed environment. In this way I get to know my students, and they get to know myself, my para, and our ID maker (we share a room). I get to allow a bit more of my personality to color my interactions with my students in such an environment. In turn, my students show a bit more of themselves, as well.

This is superbly helpful when I have to "be hard" on them, or have the unpleasant discussion about grades or behaviors or attitude towards other teachers. Having connected on a deeper, more personal level creates an environment and relationship which makes these into actual conversations and discussions during which we can speak as adults (or quasi-adults) about an issue that we need to resolve together, as a team. This is instead of seeming like I am attacking them about doing poorly.

So, the best parts of my day are when I have students in my classroom: because only when they are with me am I able to create a solid, foundational relationship upon which we can build a successful future as a team.

No comments:

Post a Comment